new life lesson: be nice to myself

The school year is underway!  And, I can say this is the most intense job I have had in my 12 year career- emotionally, physically, and mentally.  It is also the first time I have been shown what true support looks and feels like in a school setting.



So, I wrote this four months ago to begin a post.  That is as far as I got...and have not thought to return to it since.  What I love about this situation or post, is that I still feel this way.  I feel almost exactly the same way only on a more deeper level.  I feel it on a more deeper level, because I have experienced, trudged through, flew through, and conquered more challenges than I ever have in my career.... And, it is an amazing feeling!  It is even more amazing that they were not all successful!  I have failed more in the last four months, than I have in a single year previously in my educating career.  Failure does not sting as much when I do not take it so personally.  When I realize it is a challenge, not a stab at my incompetence.  When I realize it is a lesson to be learned, not a permanent grade.  It is life.  Bad days, rough days, days of epic failure....are only lessons and life in disguise.  As I always say, "It makes the good look REALLY good sometimes."  And, I am not one to always be positive.  This job has changed my mindset though.

Without a balanced emotional state and acceptance of struggles, I would be in a vicious cycle of continual negative self-talk.  Without a constant revisit of my self-care plan, there would be a debilitating state of being overwhelmed.  I incessantly ask myself, "What do I need right now?  What will bring me back to level?"  I mentally run down my list of self-care items: hot bath, run a couple of miles, coffee drink, yoga, tall glass of water, read something, write something, talk to a friend, hand massage....  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn't.  But, if it saves a situation from getting worse, it is worth it to try.  If it saves my mental and emotional state, it is worth it to try.  If it saves someone else's mental and emotional state, it is worth it to try.  Even if saving it meant I had to walk away and not be part of the solution.

It is so important to understand the statement, "Take care of yourself."  That does not mean to be selfish.  That does not mean to always put yourself first before anything or anyone.  It just means to be nice to yourself.  If my kids need a hug, I will give it to them.  If my students need a slightly longer recess to run off extra energy, I will give it to them.  If I need a few minutes to read and take my mind off of a situation, I should give it to myself.  I will be nice to myself.  This is one of the many lessons I have learned thus far this school year.  Taking care of myself is the most important thing I can do for any situation.

Comments

Popular Posts