taking care of yourself and your mind

Taking care of my mind today:  
Teacher burnout is talked about often, especially at the beginning of a school year.  I tend to think about it at the end of my school year.  (After I was close to burning out!)  This is the time when I try to take advantage of the summer break to reflect, process, relax, and catch up.  But, I have noticed it is not just teachers that get burnout.  I believe and have seen it happen to the best of people in other professions as well.  I believe it can be more prevalent in the education and medical fields because to teach is to care and to heal is to care.  These fields of work are also exposed to all walks of life.  Everyone needs education and everyone needs medical attention.  A teacher cannot turn away or not see a child in their classroom.  And, a teacher cannot avoid being a part of each child's life.  With that kind of responsibility and care, one cannot but wonder about taking a mental, emotional, or physical break.
My breaks are often at times that are too late or not the type of break I needed.  I am trying to master the art of knowing myself more, so I can avoid situations gone bad on account of frustration, tiredness, exhaustion, etc.  Kristin Souers says it honestly in her book, Fostering Resilient Learners.  She says,
We're altruistic.  We don't believe that it should be all about us when our students have such dramatic needs.  Self-awareness, self-acceptance, and self-love seem to distract us from our calling to help others.  Yet, this is actually a short-sighted view that, in the end, will hamper us in our efforts to help our students.
As an educator, I plan things.  I love to plan.  But, it's difficult to plan a break or a "taking care of myself" moment.  Well, it's easy to plan, but it is most times at a moment that I do not really need it.   So, I am learning how to be in constant self-reflection and really listen to my needs and wants moment-by-moment.
I found myself at a crossroads yesterday morning.  I had three hours free.  When I say "free" I mean no kids, no husband, no job, no friends.... FREE.  And, first thoughts were: laundry, dishes, cleaning the bathroom, turning paperwork in, first steps to painting the living room....  But, I had been running, running, running the last week with arguing (and self-acceptance) thrown in sporadically.  I was exhausted.  I listened to my self-love voice and ignored the first thoughts.  Once the decision was made, my body went on autopilot as if it knew exactly what I needed at that moment.

One of Shayla's self-care rituals:  at-home foot pampering

For this foot pampering, I filled a very large bowl with warm/hot water and Aveeno Stress Relief body wash.  I sat the bowl in front of my comfy chair with a towel underneath the bowl.  Grabbed the latest "read for pleasure" book (happens to be Uncle Tom's Cabin) and had a seat.  (I also prepared myself with nail polish remover, cotton balls, new polish, sugar scrub, and coffee drink.)

Step 1: I soak my feet in the water while I read a chapter.  Take them out and remove old, chipped nail polish from my toes.
Step 2: Soak again for another chapter!  The whole time it is peacefully quiet... the only noise is the quiet hum of the air conditioner.
Step 3: After that soak, it's time for a feel-good scrub/massage.  I like to stay natural and save money.  I make some bath products from natural ingredients based on what smells and feels good to me.  My newest one is made simply from brown sugar and coconut oil with a few drops of lavender essential oil.  Scrub/massage each foot for about two minutes and ... let them soak in the water for another chapter read!
Step 4: Take them out and pat them dry.  I had bought new polish a few weeks ago and had yet been able to use it (there's that time thing again!)  I applied the new polish and had about 40 minutes to spare!  I fought the urge to get up (I could definitely get the dishes washed in that amount of time!)  Another chapter called to me... and, I responded.

Now this "foot pampering" didn't take the whole three hours I had free.  I also had a solo, non-interrupted shower and getting ready moment beforehand.  I had my pretty toes to look at all day that reminded me of how crucial it is to take care of ourselves.  And, my mood the rest of the day was a little less harsh in moments of stress or frustration.  I could just look at my toes and breathe!

Kristin Souers also talks in her book about the self-care needs being crucial when caring for others.  She says, "Self-care isn't just about bubble baths: on a deeper level, it's about staying connected to ourselves and being true to who we are and how we want to be."  I hope that spoke out in this post more than the "foot pampering."  It is a good activity to utilize, but the self-realization is most important.  It was the listening to what my mind and body needed at that moment to be my best self for others that day and possibly the following three days if needed.  Washing the dishes always helps the home front, but what does my mood do to the home front?

Comments

Popular Posts